What makes the HCG Protocol different than a normal diet? There are several important factors:
- If you follow the maintenance program, you will not only stabilize your new weight, you will learn how to eat appropriately over time
- You can truly change your metabolism and be able to make natural adjustments as needed to keep your body at a weight that you feel great at.
In my own recovery from food addiction and an eating disorder, on the rare occasion that I have encountered women that naturally maintain their weight and who have a healthy relationship with food, I have observed that they easily adjust their food intake depending on their body weight and health. Sometimes, they indulge. Sometimes they eat in a really healthy and clean manner. If they gain a small amount of weight, they cut back on their eating until they get back to their comfort zone. Gaining a small amount of weight doesn’t send them into a shame hole, that then sends them into an eating spiral. They simply adjust and get back to what feels best. No drama. 🙂
While learning to maintain your weight after the HCG protocol, this method of adjusting your food intake on a regular basis is about the most important eating behavior that you will gain from this protocol. Learning to use these natural adjustments can truly change your relationship to food and your body weight permanently.
One of the ways that is often recommended to stabilize your weight is what is called a ‘Steak Day’. A ‘Steak Day’ (described below) is to be used any time you reach 2 pounds over your goal weight. It is really easy to do, and works amazingly well to stabilize your weight.
I personally have found that doing other corrections before you reach that 2 pound limit is really helpful, and can become a normal part of your daily eating habits. You can use any of these methods to keep your weight stable over time. I suggest that you try them all! I find that some work better for me than others, but I have heard that all of them work for some people.
I have included some great correction day options below.
When you do try them, let me know how it goes!
TO AVOID A STEAK DAY: To be used when you have gained 1 pound or 1.5 pounds
These methods are not meant to take the place of a steak day if you gain 2 pounds.
They are only intended to assist you in easily dropping a pound or so when you are getting close to a required Steak Day. If you see a Steak Day drawing near, you can try any of the following, which will usually bring your weight down a pound or more in a day or two.
Here are my personal best options.
I have used all of these and they have worked for me
These are also great to do AFTER a steak day to get better results than from just doing a steak day on it’s own.
- Drink lots of water that day.
- Don’t eat until lunch;
- Have a whole can of tuna (water packed), or chicken with mayo on either lettuce or celery for lunch
- Have a big portion of protein for dinner with a small salad and 0-1 carbohydrate dressing (ex. Ranch);
- If you are extremely hungry, you could also have 2 poached eggs for breakfast or as a snack
- Breakfast or Snack: 2-3 poached eggs
- Salmon Sashimi or smoked salmon with NO sugar or additives (4-6 ounces)
- Dinner: Steak or other protein & plain, low carb vegie
- Apple or Tomato
Protein only days.
Any combination of the foods listed here can work really well.
- Plain Chicken or Turkey
- Plain Fish
- Plain Beef
- Maybe 1 or 2 vegies: low carb vegies: asparagus, spinach, broccoli, etc
- Maybe 1 or 2 apples: I tend to drop more with NO apples. Substituting a tomato works wonderfully
- Roasted chicken all day and nothing else
- Eat 9-12 eggs throughout the day and nothing else.
Poached, scrambled, omelet. Use a teeny amount of oil only.
I have never tried the methods listed below; I have simply read about them.
I tend to gain weight from cheese. I do want to try the yogurt day however I have heard from some people that it can leave you feeling bloated.
*note from inspired girl: cheese doesn’t usually work for me personally
- Eggs and some cheese in the morning.
- Steak or roasted chicken in the afternoon.
- More steak or roasted chicken in the evening, followed by a decent portion of cheese again.
- Tons of water.
- Nothing else.
This method is supposed to correct water retention especially if you’ve been trying to eat light and not getting enough protein.
Apple and Cheese day
- For breakfast have 2 apples and 2 oz cheese.
- Repeat for lunch and dinner.
- Drink lots of water in between.
Greek yogurt day
- Eat sugar free, plain Greek yogurt all day
Full fat yogurt & 8 oz of berries
Good luck with these.
Do let me know how they work for you, it is always great to get good ideas from fellow HCGers!