These wraps are Da Bomb!
I confess, I was a bit intimidated by them at first and I had serious doubts about cooking guacamole. I was pleasantly surprised that it was really easy, the wraps stayed together when frying and cooking, and the guacamole cheese stuffing was simply amazing.
My best tips include: 1) don’t skimp on the guac or the cheese, 2) get the biggest chicken thighs you can find, and 3) be sure to fry them well and cook them long enough.
They are well worth the effort, really filling, and SO YUMMY!
- Chicken Thighs – 10 Large Boneless, Skinless, Hormone Free Chicken Thighs
- Bacon – 20 Strips Nitrate Free Bacon
- Avocados – 2 Ripe Organic Haas Avocados
- Cheese – Organic Shredded Mozzarella Cheese – 1 -2 cups
- Onion – 1/2 White Onion
- Tomato – 1 small Organic Tomato Diced into small chuncks
- Cilantro – 2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped
- Lime Juice – Juice of 1 small Lime
- Oil – 1 Tablespoon Organic Grapeseed or other Mild Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Make The Guacamole
- Using a knife, cut around the pit of each avocado, separating the halves from each other.
- Remove the pits and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh.
- In a large bowl, combine the avocado, onion, tomato, cilantro, salt, and lime juice.
- Mash and stir with a fork until there are no large chunks of avocado left.
- Lay out the chicken on a large cutting board, opening up the thighs to full size.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Take heaping spoonfuls of the guacamole and spread it evenly on 1/2 of the thighs.
- Smother each half with generous amounts of Mozzarella Cheese
- Put a second thigh on top of the first and be sure that the guacamole and cheese are on the inside.
- Pinch the edges closed.
- Wrap each double piece with 3-4 strips of bacon: wrap 2 in one direction and 2 in the other direction. Be sure to wrap them tightly and do your best to create a seal that holds the stuffing inside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over high heat. You don’t need much oil because the bacon creates it’s own.
- Sear the bacon-wrapped chicken for 4-6 minutes on each side or more, flipping several times carefully. Be sure to re-attach any bacon that starts to unwrap.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.
- Turn the wraps over, carefully.
- Back for another 20 – 35 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through and the internal temperature reaches 168°F.