This Lasagna is one of my absolute favorite Low Carb, Keto style recipes. It is really good, easy to make, and tastes as good as just about any Lasagna I have eaten, if maybe a bit crunchier from the vegies.
Just like Noodle Style Lasagna, it takes a bit of time, but it is SO WORTH IT!
Let me know what you think!
Total Time Start to Finish
Approximately : 3.5 – 3.75 hours
*Use a Large Glass Baking Dish (metal can work, but glass is better: mine is a 5 quart – 17 x 2.5 x 11)
Meat Sauce Ingredients
- Organic Ground Beef: 3lbs
- Onion: Small Yellow
- Green Pepper: Organic, Small
- Mushrooms: 2-3 Large Organic White Mushrooms
- Oil: Organic Olive Oil
- Garlic: pre peeled in bag is easiest
- Carrots: enough to cover bottom of pan when sliced (about 4 large organic)
- Eggplant: 1 medium Organic
- Meat Sauce (see prep below)
- Cheese: organic Mozzarella Cheese: 32 oz or more (pre-grated)
- Cheese: organic Parmesan Cheese: grated: 3 pints
- Cheese: organic: Ricotta Cheese: 2 pints
- 1 egg, Cage Free, XL
- Oregano, organic no added sugar
- Salt & Pepper
- Spaghetti Sauce, organic: Newmans Own, Roasted Garlic & Mushroom or something similar with no added Sugar
- Tomato Paste: Organic, Tomatoes & Salt only, no added sugar: 4-8oz
- Water: 1/4 – 1/2 cup
- Zuccini, Organic: Enough to cover bottom of pan when sliced (about 2 large)
Prep time approximately 2 hours
Meat Sauce Preparation
- Dice the onion into small bits and slice the mushrooms and green peppers.
- In a large frying pan, at high heat, fry the oil (about 1/4 inch), the chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, & green peppers
- Add plenty of garlic, pepper & salt.
- Stir often and be sure that everything is covered with hot oil.
- Stir the mixed ingredients thoroughly until the onions are beginning to turn color and well cooked.
- Still at high heat, add the ground beef, breaking it up really well into small pieces. Mix it into the vegetable mixture, stirring, turning, and mixing often.
- Add more salt & pepper as needed.
- Cook until the meat is well browned on all sides.
- Add the spaghetti sauce. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the tomato paste slowly and mix thoroughly.
- Add a small amount of water to thin it out, not too thin but enough that when it cooks off, sauce will be thick but saucy, not dry.
- Cover the pan and bring the whole mixture to a boil, stirring often.
- Turn the temperature to simmer and cook for another 1.5 – 2 hours stirring occasionally.
- When the meat sauce has about 45 minutes to go, slice the eggplant the LONG way into THIN slices.
- Steam it for approximately 15 minutes, until it is soft but not mushy; eggplant can be rubbery in this recipe, steaming it in advance makes it soft and yummy
- While the eggplant is steaming, slice the carrots and the zucchini THIN, in the LONG direction so they are shaped look like noodles thick lasagna noodles.
- Use pre grated Mozarella and Parmesan Cheesing (or grate them yourself now). Be sure to have enough to cover the pan in a thick layer.
- Put the ricotta cheese in a bowl, add the egg, salt pepper, oregano, and add some Mozzarella & Parmesan. Mix all of the ingredients together thoroughly.
- When the eggplant is ready, put the ingredients into the casserole dish in layers in the following order:
**be sure to cover as much of the pan as possible with every layer, and flatten out the layer as best you can; it will be MESSY and funky, don’t worry about it!
- Gather a layer of liquid fat from the meat, and spread it over the bottom of the pan
- Layer of Steamed Eggplant
- Layer of Meat Sauce
Layer of Mozzarella Cheese
- Layer of Ricotta Cheese
- Layer of Sliced Zucchini
- Layer of Meat Sauce
- Layer of Mozzarella
- Layer of Sliced Carrots
- Layer of TONS of Parmesan (THICK layer, use lots and lots so it is super THICK!)
*Don’t feel like you have to use all the veggies, but be sure to use all the cheese! 🙂
COOK TIME ESTIMATE 90 – 105 minutes
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 75 – 105 minutes: the timing depends on your pan, your oven, and how thick your layers are.
- Lasagna is ready when the sauce is bubbling, the inner cheeses are really melty, and the cheese on top is cooked onto the carrots and really crispy.
- Take the dish out of the oven, and let cool for about 30 minutes or more
- Slice and serve! *You will need a very sharp knife (the carrots will be hard) and a spatula.
Cut the Lasagna into serving size portions and freeze in freezer safe & microwaveable containers – 12 large pieces is my standard amount.
You can reheat this in the microwave from frozen with ‘frozen entree’ setting or defrost it overnight, and then heat it up for about 2-4 minutes depending on your microwave.